Facial Massage and Why It Is Important
Introduction To Facial Massage
Facial massage, it will change your life, or at the very least give you vibrant, healthy and more radiant skin!
The magic of massage is well known for its ability to relax, de-stress, calm and make us feel renewed, rejuvenated and utterly fantastic.
Any type of body massage is a wonderful experience, but facial massage also offers incredible benefits for the skin and can support our quest to maintain a youthful, less wrinkled and glowing complexion as we age.
Think about how many times the facial muscles are worked throughout the day, and just as your back, shoulders, and neck become stiff and tense from stress, so do the muscles on your face. All that tension and stress that you experience throughout the day not only creates the infamous furrowed brow, but also promotes wrinkles, tightness, and loss of facial glow. Facial massage is the remedy, and it works quite well to keep your skin vibrant, youthful, and healthy.
Furthermore, facial massage is the ultimate in pampering; this is mainly because many pleasure points flow throughout the face.
One of the most wonderful aspects of facial massage is that you can do it yourself, and you do not have to spend hundreds of dollars to benefit from the practice.
Facial massage renews, clears, deters wrinkles, and leaves your skin radiant, and feeling great, so it really is a great free way to treat your face every single day.
17 Benefits Of Facial Massage
Regular facial massage along with other sound skincare practices, such as cleansing, moisturizing and eating a healthy diet, provides many benefits and can improve the appearance of your skin in a very short amount of time.
- 100% free and instant toning and lifting
- Significant improvement in skin appearance and elasticity
- Boost circulation – Improved circulation to allow a more pronounced delivery of nutrients the skin’s cells and tissues, which helps to improve skin tone and color
- Preps the skin for facials and other treatments making them more effective, consider facial massage as an awakening of the skin so it responds better to all other applications, and allows the skin to better absorb skincare products.
- Natural collagen production – Increased circulation and blood flow helps promote natural collagen production that rewards you with a youthful glow.
- Facial massage promotes skin firmness – It is a well-known fact that as we age, our skin begins to sag, leading to an unseemly appearance and the dreaded double chin. Facial massage helps provide an all-natural lifting of the skin, making it firmer and younger in appearance.
- Relaxation – Facial massage is very relaxing, and is a great way to manage stress. Those fine lines and wrinkles on your face are there, thanks to everyday tension and stress, and this is especially true around the eye area, where fine lines and even puffiness like to live. The stroking performed in facial massage helps release tension and relaxes you overall for younger, much healthier appearing skin.
- Vibrant skin – Facial massage stimulates the skin, nerves, and muscles in the face to eliminate dull complexion and reveal brighter, more vibrant skin tone.
- Improve Your Mood – According to a study conducted by the User Institute, facial massage helped to lower anxiety levels and improved positive mood in subjects who enjoyed a 45-minute facial treatment, making this a wonderful asset in stress management and improving quality of life.
- Reduce stress wrinkles – The daily tension and stress we experience in our every day lives results in wrinkles, from furrowed foreheads causing creases to fine lines along the brow and lip line. Regular facial massages help to relax the facial muscles and lessen the appearance of creases and fine lines around the facial muscles.
- Reduce puffiness and sinus blockage – If you suffer from allergies or congestion, then you likely suffer from mucus build-up that causes facial puffiness, sinus pressure, and headaches. Gentle massage helps blast sinus blockages, improves drainage, and helps relieve congestion.
- Detox and elimination of toxins – The face is full of lymphatic vessels, especially along the edge of the jawline and chin. By stimulating these vessels with the use of facial massage, you can remove toxins and improve your health. Lymph is a clear fluid stimulated during muscle manipulation that helps eliminate toxins from the body, by pushing them towards the bloodstream where they are then flushed out of the body.
- Improve skins’ glow – All that regular pinching, kneading and massaging helps create a natural and radiant glow…remember, like the one you used to have naturally when you were in your teens.
- It feels good – Pampering is a very well-known self-care action, and facial massage feels great.
- Relieves facial bloating – Facial massage is a fantastic way to reduce bloating that results from overeating, or too much salt intake.
- A Natural Facelift – Facial massage helps stimulate oxygen flow to the facial muscles, resulting in a face-lift effect that is a 100% natural and non-invasive facelift.
- Younger looking skin – No matter your age, or your skin’s condition, regular facial treatments that incorporate massage result in a more youthful, glowing complexion.
And now, to make it practical and show you why we are sharing this information, here are a few tips on how to give yourself a facial massage!
10 DIY Facial Massages
Rejuvenate Your Whole Face
This is a great way to bring a glow and radiance to the skin, and also to prepare the face for any kind of skincare treatment.
- Place a little oil or facial cream on your hands and rub it in gently
- Slowly pat your entire face using your fingertips and applying a little pressure, go all around from chin to top of the forehead, under the eyes and around the nose. Repeat 3 or 4 times.
- Then starting at the bottom of the neck, make small kneading moderate pressure motions up to the face around the cheeks, nose and under the eyes going up to the forehead, repeat 3 times.
This massage helps unclog lymph nodes to reduce sagging around the chin
- Place both thumbs under the chin (directly across from the tips of your mouth) and place your index fingers at the base of chin line
- Perform a sequence of tiny pinches with moderate pressure all along the jawline up to the ears, then go back down to starting position
Pressure Point Massage
This one is perfect if you suffer from migraines, tension headaches, or sinus problems
- Apply firm pressure with your index fingers starting at each brow and working out
- Hold each pressure for about 10 seconds
- Massage outwards under each eye using the index fingertips while applying medium pressure to the back of the ears and ear lobes with the thumbs
Repeat 3 to 4 times
Décolletage and Neck Massage
- Place the palms of your hands on your chest and décolletage area
- Gently glide one hand at a time up to the chest and neck area toward the chin
Alternate each hand and repeat five times
Soften Wrinkles On The Forehead
This is best done at night before bed, so the skin can repair, smooth wrinkles and flush toxins from the face while you sleep.
- Place your thumbs just above each temple and place your first three fingers together over the overhead
- Use gentle pressure to rub the forehead in small circles
Get Rid Of Eye Puffiness
This is a great massage to reduce swelling and puffiness around the eyes. Use it daily and especially on those mornings when the lack of a good rest shows on your eyes.
- Put a dab of eye cream or oil on each inner corner of the eye, just below the brows
- Using a light pressure apply a sweeping motion along with the brow bones to the outer corners and around the bone under the eyes leading back to the inner corners
- Make sure to use this direction in order to push excess fluids away from the eye area
Define The Cheekbones
Use this method to get an instant facelift around the cheekbones.
- Place the index and middle fingers directly below each cheekbone
- Use moderate pressure with small kneading motions to push up the flesh of the cheeks up to the hairline and continue for a total of 10 times
- Place all 10 fingertips above your brow line
- Use slow and gentle strokes to push your forehead up and into your scalp
Repeat this movement five times
- Place the fingertips of your first three fingers on your temples
- Massage gently for a few seconds
- Gently glide your fingertips over and under the eyes
Repeat this move five times
Scalp massages are wonderful, they help you relax, calm the mind and body, and stave off a stress headache and general tension that builds up throughout the day, especially those awful hectic days.
- Use pressure that feels comfortable for you, deep pressure is fine if it feels good
- Use the entire force of the palms and fingertips and rub your scalp in slow circular motions, especially using all ten fingertips
- Don’t ignore the back of the scalp right at the base of the head and also the front of your scalp where the hairline begins
- Continue until you feel tension and tightness melt away
We hope you enjoyed this information and will find the time in your busy schedule to try out some, or all, of the tips listed above.
And, as always, we stand ready to give you one of the best massages you have ever experienced – it is just a matter of you scheduling your appointment with us!
Call our receptionist at 360-869-0212 to schedule today!
Vancouver Massage Center
3021 NE 72nd Drive, Suite 5,
Vancouver, WA 98661